I feel like I've been talking about this thing everywhere BUT on my blog, but I signed up to write a book, which will be coming out through Microcosm sometime Spring 2016. If you liked my Punk Rock Entrepreneur talk, then you'll like this book. I'm basically putting in all the stuff that I wanted to shove into that talk, but had to cut for time. So the first thing is, if you'd like to sign up to receive an update when this book comes out (because 2016's like, a really long time from now), you can sign up right here. I'll let you know any super important stuff, like if there's a pre-sale, or if I do an appearance somewhere so you can see my dumb mug in person, but you're not gonna get a zillion emails.
The second thing is, I'm still collecting some stories for this. I have some information up about this on my website, but I'm basically looking for stories from either musicians or small business owners in a few categories:
• Times that you have found creative ways around obstacles
• Stories about building a network (most of mine involve couch surfing)
• Anything about building a community, or being involved in a community (as it relates to your band/business)
• Creative ways you’ve put your work out
• Failed projects, personal projects, and collaborative efforts that ended up positive experiences
• Times when being small/relatively unknown has been an advantage
• Hosting shows and events in odd spaces
• Finding your audience (can also include finding who your audience isn’t)
• Conflict about money
• Stories about when going above and beyond worked out for you (this is for a chapter called Use Your Whole Ass.)
• Making interesting mistakes and learning from failure
If you think you have a story to contribute, check out the submissions link.